Saturday, September 28, 2013

Grandpa's New Improved


Shave of the Day
September 28, 2013

•Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood soap
•Kingsley badger brush
•Gillette New Improved Standard (1922)
•Kai Stainless Steel blade (1)
•Old Spice aftershave

Today is a special day. Not only is it my wife's birthday, but also my grandfather, Robert C. Griscom's 123rd birthday (if he were still alive).

I have what I believe to be his razor. He died the year my parents were married.

He was a record presser for Victor Talking Machine. His hands were so toughened by his work that he could place a boiling tea kettle on the palm of his hand and not get burned.

He also played the violin. I always picture my grandfather playing the violin while my grandmother played the piano, and the two of them sang together.

The razor has been dropped several times over the years, all four corners have bent teeth. The case is well worn. The blade I found in the razor was from 1932 (C2 blue blade).

The bent teeth did not present any problem shaving. The New Improved is a great razor. The Kai blade worked well ; a great combination.


So happy birthday grandpa. Today you are remembered.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iphone

No comments:

Post a Comment